Sunday, March 6, 2011

Balsamic Chicken

Balsamic vinegar and I have had a long love affair, dating back to my time in New York.  My roommates and I frequently ate at a restaurant called Bianca and I always ordered the balsamic poached chicken.  It was wonderful and it's something that I really miss.  I've tried a couple of times to recreate it but have never pulled it off.  I think it's probably an old family recipe that requires many hours of cooking and a few secret ingredients.  Even though this isn't quite the same, here is a great balsamic chicken recipe.

Ingredients:

1 pound of chicken breasts
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 cups chicken broth, divided
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.  Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate.  Place the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, coating both sides lightly.  Place in the hot oil and brown on both sides.  When brown, remove from oil and set aside.

Place the onions in the skillet and add the thyme and one cup of chicken broth.  Cook until the onions are soft.  Add the remaining chicken broth and balsamic vinegar.  Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture.  Spoon some of the balsamic mixture from the bottom of the skillet onto the chicken breast.  Cover and allow to cook until chicken is done, occasionally spooning more of the mixture onto the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment