Thursday, January 27, 2011

Split Pea Soup

It's time for this week's "substitute soup" - the soup I prepare every Sunday in anticipation of having to grab lunch as I run out the door on my way to school, where I work as a substitute teacher.  Of all the soup recipes I've shared so far - the spinach parmesan, the butternut squash, the roasted pepper - this is my favorite.

Ingredients:

1 pound split peas, sorted and rinsed
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, finely diced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 cups water
6 bullion cubes
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme

Heat oil in a large dutch oven.  Add the celery, carrots, onion, and garlic.  Saute until soft.  Add water, peas, bullion cubes, and spices.  Cook until peas reach desired tenderness, or 30-40 minutes.  Mom and I love this served over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment