Thursday, January 13, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

To everyone's horror (mine included), I've been substitute teaching this year.  Just like when I was a kid, I rarely eat in the lunchroom, so I have to be prepared to pack a lunch any day of the week.  One of my favorite things to take in my lunch is soup, so I've been experimenting with all different kinds.  This butternut squash soup was especially tasty.

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash, roasted
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, rinsed
3 cans chicken broth
2 parmesean cheese rinds
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme
pinch of nutmeg
sour cream for serving

Cut the squash in half.  Drizzle with olive oil and roast in a 425 degree oven until fork tender.

Heat some of the chicken broth in a skillet and saute the onions and garlic.  When the onions are translucent, add the remaining broth, cheese rinds, and spices and simmer. 

When the squash is cooked, remove the tough outer skin, cube, and add to the broth mixture.  Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes.  When the squash is very tender, remove the bay leaf and cheese rinds and puree the soup in a blender or food processor.  Serve with about a tablespoon of sour cream per bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment