Thursday, January 6, 2011

White Chicken Chili

I wish I could take credit for this recipe but I can't.  It came to me via my Aunt Janie, who found it on the side of a can of Great Northern beans.  It's still share-worthy, though.

White chicken chili is great because it's cheap, easy, tasty, and pretty healthy.  Mom doesn't care for it because of the cumin, but she was kind enough to help me make it yesterday, showing me how to add flour to the onion mixture to make a proper rue. 

Ingredients:

2-15 oz. cans of Great Northern (or navy) beans, drained and rinsed
1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
1 large onion, diced
1 small can diced green chilies
2-14 oz. cans chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cumin

In a dutch oven, heat olive oil and add onions, cooking until translucent.  If, like me, you're trying to be health conscious in the new year, you can saute the onions in some of the chicken broth instead, saving some fat and calories.

Once the onions are cooked, alternate between adding the flour and the chicken broth, whisking as you do so the flour doesn't lump.  Yesterday I used the flour because Mom was around to show me how to do it properly.  When I've made this in the past, I've skipped the flour and used less chicken broth.

Once the flour has been added (or not), add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 20-30 minutes at a simmer.  We serve the chili with sour cream, cheese, and a little ground red pepper, but it's perfectly tasty on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment