Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pinto Beans

There is nothing simpler than a pot of pinto beans.  Though I love beans and cornbread now, I spent my childhood hating it.  Unfortunately for me it was Mom and Dad's favorite, so this was a dinner that we had at least twice a month.  I have, however, spent my adulthood making up for all the pots of beans that I missed.  I crave pinto beans, cook them often, and request that Mom cook them even more frequently.

Ingredients:

1 pound dry pinto beans
1 large or 2 small ham hocks
Enough water to cover the beans

First and foremost, do not soak the beans.  This is Mom's cardinal rule of bean preparation. 

Sort and wash the beans and place them in a large dutch oven along with the ham hock or ham hocks.  Add enough water to cover the beans.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Cover and cook until the beans are tender, or two and half to three hours. 

*Note* - During the first hour or so, you'll need to watch the beans closely to make sure they have enough water.  Because you didn't soak them, they will absorb a lot. 

Top the cooked beans with diced onions and Louisiana hot sauce.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment