Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chocolate Sheet Cake

This is the world's best chocolate cake and has been my birthday cake since I was old enough to tell Mom what I wanted.  I wish my mom or grandma could take credit for the recipe, but they can't.  It comes from an old cookbook from the '40s or '50s that first belonged to my Mam-Maw and now belongs to my mom.  The author of this recipe is Mrs. Mae Brewer of Riverside, Oklahoma.

My Mam-Maw - a good cook and a total hottie
Even though my family can't claim this recipe, it has been part of our family gatherings forever.  Every time my grandparents had company, Mam-Maw made this cake.  And because Mam-Maw wanted everyone to like everything she cooked, she would put pecans on top of one end of the cake and leave the other half without nuts.  If only that trait hadn't skipped a generation.

Every time we have a "special occasion" meal at our house, I request this cake.  It's chocolatey, with a little cinnamon, very moist, and dangerously tempting because we walk by and grab "bites" every time we're in the kitchen to get coffee or water. 

I really can't stress how much I love this cake.  If I'm ever in a position to choose my last meal, this is all I will request.  It's the perfect combination of tasty food and great memories for me.  I hope you enjoy it!

Cake Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 stick butter
1 cup water
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk with 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 slightly beaten eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Icing Ingredients:

1 stick butter
6 tablespoons cream
4 tablespoons cocoa
4 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box powdered sugar

To prepare the cake, mix the salt, flour, and sugar and set aside.  Bring the oil, butter, water, and cocoa to a boil, then add to the flour and sugar.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Pour mixture into a greased 12" x 18" baking pan.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

To prepare the icing, combine all the ingredients except the powdered sugar.  Boil in a small sauce pan for 1 minute.  Combine with the box of powdered sugar and beat until creamy.  Top cooled cake with icing and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment